First Aid at Work
The purpose of this course is to give designated personnel within industry the knowledge and skills required to administer safe and effective First Aid at work. Also to refresh and update First Aid knowledge and skills and to introduce personnel to new developments and prepare them for re-examination or initial examination for the award of an approved First Aid at Work certificate.
This course also provides for a designated person to act on behalf of the employer, where the company identify that a First Aider is not necessary (First Aid at Work - appointed person).
Combining theory and practical sessions, the training is appropriate for personnel requiring a First Aid certificate to meet the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act and Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
- Basic Anatomy & physiology - respiratory/circulatory/nervous systems.
- Care of an unconscious casualty - examination and management for breathing and non-breathing casualty.
- The recovery position - side lying position/using blanket and stretcher.
- Resuscitation - demonstrate correct resuscitation procedures/use and maintenance of manual resuscitators and oxygen supplies.
- Shock - recognition and treatment.
- Burns - recognition and treatment of thermal, chemical and electrical burns.
- Fractures - recognition and treatment.
- Poisons - types and effects of poisoning.
- Illness and medical emergencies - recognise and treat minor illness.
- Eye injury - examination and treatment of black eye/corneal abrasion/loose and embedded foreign bodies/chemical burns/eyelid and eyeball burns.
- Casualty simulation exercise.
- Wounds and bleeding - personal hygiene in treating wounds/dress, bandage and immobilize injured parts/treatment and control of external and internal bleeding.
Who should Attend
This course is designed for people who want to receive training in emergency first aid.
For more information about this or any of our other courses, just fill in your details on the right.